* . Going outside during science to determine what items were made of rocks. We looked at the playground, the outside of the building, the stairs, and even the trash can!
* We worked on our covers for our books. Not only did we talk about the importance of the "look" of the cover, but also thinking of a title that was a bit of a hook.
* During math, we continued to focus on fractions and "even shares". We discussed how 1/2 is a bigger share than 1/3, for example, because we are dividing our whole into more pieces. We also thought about everyday times when we might think about fractions.
* We continued adding to our word ring during Reader's Workshop and reading books in small groups. Our focus continues to be on "schema" where we are thinking of all our background knowledge as we read.
Questions to Ask Your 2nd Grader:
* . What were some items outside that were made from rocks?
* What is erosion? (When water changes the form of rocks in our environment)
* . Cade, Alex, Anya, and Claire were sharing a pizza. If they each had an equal share, what fraction represents how much they would have of the pizza? How much of the pizza did the girls have?
* What words did Gabriel teach you to say this week if you don't like what someone is doing?
* How did we do on our class behavior chart this week? How did you help the class earn tally marks?